Join the Neopoet online poetry workshop and community to improve as a writer, meet fellow poets, and showcase your work. Sign up, submit your poetry, and get started.

Time to stir things up a bit

Forums: 

Let me do it by asking a simple question : Is poetry art or literature? I'll come back here in a day or so and see what ya'll think

can't it be both?

*hugs, Cat

When someone reads your work
And responds, please be courteous
And reply in kind, thanks.

No fence riding allowed lol

author comment

poetry is emotion finishes in moments
none can judge
so have two NOBELS
PARAS AND PAGES worth

Stan you r intelligent
why this Qs???

Well I have my own ideas about this and want to see what others think

author comment

will you tell us what you believe and why you feel that way?

*hugs, Cat

A painter can paint a picture in extreme detail. But then the picture is only that, a picture. It doesn't change. And a writer can write a wonderful book that becomes a best seller. And the book will be remembered but only the entirety. Few lines will be recalled well enough to quote.
But poetry.... sure, it's just words but a true poet can use them in such a way to cause a picture to form in the reader's mind. But the picture will be different for each reader. Thus it is more personal than a painting due to each reader filtering it through their own experiences. As as opposed to plain prose poetry has a rhythm which when done correctly encourages the reader to memorize at least some of a poem.
So, we as poets can sometimes blend the best of art and literature into something which will be around long after we are gone.
Now, go ahead everybody and tell me how wrong I am.......

author comment

I can't argue with what you have said. it is beautifully explained and demonstrated. thank you, and I bow to your talent for explanations.

a tip 'o the hat, Cat

I like to stir things up a bit. "Poetry" is a broad spectrum of what people call their writing when it can't be classed into anything else. Memorable poetry to me, when structured, is literary art.

...so like my lost dreams...the flood

I like that as good poetry should let the reader visualize something

author comment

...to watch an art form like (my idea) of "true poetry" become so generalized as "poetry" to hail interesting anecdotes, folksy burps and tweeny tweets as the most flowered stem of a once prestigious branch of literature. Hmmm...burping blossoms.....might be something there...book title? Poem title?
...naah.

Thomas

Did you know what brought me back to writing poetry after over 40 years away? It was the terrible excuse for a poem recited at Obama's inauguration. I listened to it and said to myself"Is this what passes for poetry NOW?" I figured even I could do better than this. So if you want to know who to blame for my abusing ya'll with my attempts at poetry BLAME OBAMA lol

author comment

forgot one....egocentric rhetoric shouted at an audience.

I, for one am glad you occasionally post structured work here. Probably one of the reasons I like the atmosphere here.

Thomas

I am not the only bone here still writing western classic. I know the best contemporary rhyming poet I ever read was a member until he passed away.He was an ornery guy if you got him riled and was getting up in years. Only thing wrong with him is he was born on the wrong side of the Mason Dixon line but he was still a good guy.

author comment

...there are others writing decent, structured, rhyming work. You speak well of this person, but you don't give a name. My sympathies if it pleases you.

Thomas

He taught me a lot just by example as far as poetry goes

author comment

it's poetry and seemed to be genuinely appreciated. Back in the day when "poetry" wasn't a medium for staging a popularity contest.
Be safe out there.

Thomas

is sorely missed and not just by me

author comment

have an exclusive NOBEL
Kindly your views scribble...

yes it should. And it should be open to anybody not just ivory tower types

author comment

Well poetry is an art to the writer just like painting is an art to the painter. It is a way to express yourself. But to the readers if it is timeless and relates to everyone then it is to them literature.

Hlm life without literature is a life without logic.

Then what is the difference between poetry and prose?

author comment

Well prose is a type of poetry it just doesn’t follow the usual way it’s more of a narrative approach and usually uses a lot of symbolism and imagery.

Hlm life without literature is a life without logic.

you are referring to poetic prose as opposed to normal prose

author comment
(c) Neopoet.com. No copyright is claimed by Neopoet to original member content.