Join the Neopoet online poetry workshop and community to improve as a writer, meet fellow poets, and showcase your work. Sign up, submit your poetry, and get started.

Writing Tips From Ted Kooser - Short And Very Useful

Forums: 

One phrase we use often in poetry is "show don't tell" - it's better to *show* feelings through concrete description, vs. telling someone what they should feel.

Feelings are a huge part of poetry still, and writing to express our feelings is a huge part of poetry - but "gushiness" drives readers away. Most of the time your reader is a stranger, and a stranger doesn't want to hear about how "he broke up with me and I'm so sad". Expressing these feelings through story or metaphor are a stronger and less awkward way of showing these feelings. For example, "It's fall again: everything dies. Each leaf has grown only to fall dry through the air, out of reach of its companions and utterly alone."

Ted Kooser goes into more depth in this excerpt from page 60:

One of the hardest things to learn is how poems can express strong feelings without expressly stating those feelings. Part of the problem is that in everyday conversation we often quite freely make statements about feelings: "The kids' goldfish died and they really felt bad"... A poem begins with description and follows description all the way through, letting the behavior of the participants show us how they feel... I know how to appropriately respond to that kind of description, and have quite strong feelings from it without the poet telling me how she wants me to feel...

When it comes to expressing feelings, each of us knows not to walk right up to a total stranger on a street corner, somebody waiting for a light to change, and immediately say "My lover just left me and I AM ABOUT READY TO FREAK OUT!" We know that if we did, the stranger would likely take off running against the red light. But if we're friendly, and casually draw that stranger into a conversation, then begin walking along with her, it may be possible to tell her how much trouble we're in by the time we get to the end of the next block.

It's not a bad idea to test the opening lines of your poems against this example, because that stranger, your reader, can quite easily be turned away by the first words you write... Your reader is right there on the other side of the table, politely and patiently listening to you. How long do you dare go on about the misery of your hemorrhoids are causing you?

Sometimes with beginning poets I tell them that they are forbidden to write about their feelings. In other words, they cannot make overt statements of feeling. This throws them back upon scene and mood and pacing and other devices through which they must convey their emotions. It's good discipline. You might try it!

Hi, Michael,
I was introduced to Ted Kooser's work through a poetry professor in college. We analyzed the poem "Beer Bottle." I have loved his work ever since. My favorite, if I had to choose, would be "Spiral Notebook." I point this out, because I agree that he removes the gushiness that many of us are apt to use in our work. I fell in love with the spiral notebook he holds in his hand, or any object or memory he lets us see, because his language is simple and inviting. Direct, and sometimes raw, but casual as if he's looking into our eyes. Pretty cool poet! Yes, very useful help.
Thank you,
L

Thank you L. Kooser has been a major influence in my writing, and your thoughts perfectly capture why.

Best

Michael Anthony

author comment
(c) Neopoet.com. No copyright is claimed by Neopoet to original member content.