Join the Neopoet online poetry workshop and community to improve as a writer, meet fellow poets, and showcase your work. Sign up, submit your poetry, and get started.

that "perfect" word

Forums: 

Two roads forked in an autumn wood
or
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
this shows the difference between a good word or a perfect one (or in this case two).
It seems that lately I spend a lot of time trying to come up with the best word possible in a given poem. This has led to a decreased number of poems written than back when I slung words about with little thought.

So up for discussion is whether one is better off to take the time to find that elusive "perfect" word or to just write as the words come and damn the torpedoes lol....................stan

No matter what we write, I know that it would be wonderful to find that word, but it is the thought that is important.
Just take your example:-
Two roads forked in an autumn wood
or
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
Both these lines are bad they mean nearly the same just the original thought needs to be there.
I think you have not read the lines Two roads forked did they change into four roads, this is not the picture that should be there.
Two roads Diverged, exactly the same thing, four yellow brick roads which of these do we take to get to OZ.
The pathway (Road) diverged, leaving a question in the mind as to which to travel, the diverged needs a lot of propping up.
The first one where the Pathway (Road) forked gave a picture of a road ahead going two ways without more words.
That will do before I have to go back in my cave and lay down lol
Take care, Yours Ian.T
PS:- It matters not the words you use Stan, the picture you paint is the main thing in works..

There are a million reasons to believe in yourself,
So find more reasons to believe in others..

I find myself scrutinizing words as well. I have learned that the dictionary and thesauras (as Wesley had told me this would happen) have become my best friend as I search for the right word or the right synonym to fit the message I am trying to convey. I agree with Ian that the picture you paint is as equally important as the words you use.

Keep Writing,
Carrie

"Quoth said the Raven, NEVERMORE"

But using the right word(s) is as important to a writer as finding the perfect shade of a color is to an artist. I am beginning to believe that a lot of writers' block is due to people being afraid they might not be using the word(s) which exactly denote what they are trying to get across............stan

author comment

the perfect word? I guess I think a perfect idea makes a word. the latter just obliges.
I love words they are magical to me and so I use all words without discrimination because it is not about the word it is about how you put across.

time follows light like whites follow clouds and red shadows
skies, rains simply stares, watching it rise no matter what the heights''

But don't you also think that one word might well covey what you want to put across than another? Take air movement for example. There are many different types of wind. Zephyrs, breezes, gales...the list goes on and on. Indeed there are different words used to descibe different winds even according to location. Zephyr better describes a low velocity wind in an arid region than breeze.

But I agree that the way a word affects the reader is important. But even so, a minor word change in a poem can make a world of difference in my opinion. Thanks for dropping by and adding your thoughts.............stan

author comment
(c) Neopoet.com. No copyright is claimed by Neopoet to original member content.